Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Vilate Nyman Johnson--Part 6


Tribute given by James Warren Johnson (son) at the Logan 16th Ward Sunday School on Mother's Day in May 13, 1973

My brothers and sisters, I feel very humble as I stand before you and say a few words about my Mother on this special day and to recall some of the things that make her special to me. I ask The Lord to be with me, so I will be able to say the things that are in my heart, and to be able to share them with you.

We as a family had a very close and happy home life because our mother taught us the meaning of friendship and happiness. Many are the times I remember bringing home friends and she would always fix sandwiches and hot chocolate. My Mother has always been a wonderful cook and we as a family still enjoy going home and eating wonderful things she makes. Some of the grandchildren have a special dish that grandma makes and when she makes that particular one, the grandchild gets a phone call and an invitation out to dinner.
 
She has also been a wonderful teacher to me. She taught me the Gospel from an early age, and I remember when I was baptized we went to the Temple in a bob sleigh, pulled by horses because it was in the middle of the winter. She taught us the meaning of being truthful and to be good to each other.

She also taught us that through work and being honest we can achieve the goal we are striving for.

She has been proud of her pioneer heritage and has taught us to respect it.

She is proud of her family, six children, 24 grandchildren and one great grandchild. There are four of us that live in this ward, and we feel very fortunate to live this close to her, and that we still receive her help and guidance.

Myself and my three brothers all served in the armed service. I remember looking forward to the letters from Mother and all the news of my brothers and sisters. I certainly looked forward to getting into port and getting those letters from home.

As I was trying to remember some of the important things to tell you today, I was reminiscing and so my wife wrote this poem to my Mother.

Mother
by Jessie Lue Slack Johnson

I am one of the reasons
It’s been said to me
That made mother's hair
As white as could be.

But there are others
in this reminisces
Three of them brothers
And two little sisses.

Our Mother's a wonder
And there is no doubt
That sometimes with confusion
She wanted out.

She kisses us and cuddled
And hurts seemed to fade
The to ease broken hearts
Something special she made.

Love is one specialty
That she has galore
For all of her family
And then she has more.

Kindness is another
of treasures she shares
For friends and for neighbors
she always cares.

There's Beth and there's Nyman
And Reed is here too
With spouses and children
that makes quite a few.

There's Jeanie and Carl
That live far away
But send her their greetings
On this special day.

I'd say that we're blessed
with a mother like she
And no better example
there's apt to be.

Her children all love her
and honor her name
The grandchildren too
think just the same.

One little great grandson
and him we can't miss
Cause for him always
there's a hug and a kiss.

She held her head high
Even through sorrow
But great hope
She greets the tomorrow.

She taught us our prayers
and to love one another
So we say to her
Thanks for being our Mother.

1 comment: